If your teacher is reporting that you are having sound problems (static, too loud, etc.), during a video conference, check the microphone input level. The level should be about halfway. Here is a video showing you how to do that.
If your Chromebook will not turn on, try this:
• Hold down the refresh key. It's above the 4 key.
• While holding down the refresh key, press and release the power button. Keep holding down the refresh key.
• When you see something on the screen, release the refresh key.
If you log in to your Chromebook, and you are asked to type in your old password, click forgot password. Then, click proceed anyway.
If the Chromebook's hardware (trackpad, touchscreen, microphone, camera, etc.) is not behaving, a hardware reset may fix the problem.
If the Chromebook is not cooperating, try manually updating the Chrome operating system.
If a specific web page is not working, here is a quick way to clear the page cache in Chrome.
Chromebook Multitask - Split Screen & Switch Window Key
Chromebook Quick Start Guide for Students
Google Tech Toolkit for Families & Guardians
The Google Classroom Cheat Sheet for Students
The Kami Handbook and Kami & Google Classroom Directions
How to take a picture with your Chromebook
How to properly email your Teacher
If a student's Chromebook or charger is not functional, or if a student's Google account is not working, make a request to have it serviced. Directions are on this page: https://orangeschools.org/342004_2
If you can't determine a student's password, first contact your child's homeroom teacher. They may have a record of the password. If you still can't determine your child's password, make a request to have the password reset. Directions are on this page: https://orangeschools.org/342004_2
Students can get to the Chromebook Start Page by going to this address: https://sites.google.com/orangecsd.org/mhsk5/k-5. Students can go to their Clever page by going to the Chromebook Start Page and clicking on the Clever Icon (Big white C on a blue background). These two pages provide links to the tools students will be using. If a student has trouble logging into a tech tool, first contact your child's homeroom teacher for help with the credentials. If you need help with SORA or a library database, contact Pam Black at email@example.com.
VIDEO CONFERENCES: Teachers will communicate all the information students need to participate in video conferences. We encourage students to use their school Chromebooks to do their video conferences.
CAN I BLOCK YOUTUBE ON MY CHILD'S SCHOOL CHROMEBOOK?
We can't block a specific site for a specific student. You will have to utilize any parental controls that are available with your home wireless router. Keep in mind, teachers do utilize YouTube videos for educational purposes.
STUDENT ACCOUNTS: All school login information has been sent to teachers. Your child's teacher will contact you with school login credentials and procedures.
STUDENT ACCOUNTS AND SCHOOL WORK: Students should only use their school accounts for school work. Students should always be logged in to their school accounts when doing school work. Never use your school Google account for personal online communication.
CHROMEBOOK PICKUP: If you still have not picked up your child's school Chromebook, you need to do that. We are encouraging students to use their school issued Chromebooks when doing their remote school work. In order for the account sync and extensions to work properly, students need to use their school Chromebooks.
ONLINE TOOLS AND SERVICES: We are working diligently to get all our current and new online services and tech tools up and running. Please be patient if you encounter a school online service or tool that is not working yet.
The MHS Summer Resources Site is still up with good stuff for parents and students.
We are constantly asking ourselves, "What can we do with these devices that would be impossible to do without them?" All students have access to their own Chromebooks during the school day.
Follow Moreland Hills Elementary on Twitter!
• All students have a school Google account. Gmail access only allows students to email their teachers. Students do have access to Google Drive and Google Classroom. Students are encouraged to use their school Google accounts for school purposes only. Students should not use their school Google account to sign up for other services like Instagram. If a student is using YouTube outside of school, they must make sure they are signed out of their school Google account.
• Students are welcome to bring a mouse to use with their Chromebooks. An inexpensive, corded mouse is best.
• Students have access to digital tools such as, BrainPop, Words Their Way, Science Fusion, Tumblebooks, TrueFlix, and Boolflix. Students' homeroom teachers can provide log in information for these digital tools.
• Here at Moreland Hills we are committed to the engaging and safe use of technology. Please take a look at our Technology Supervision and Safety document.
• The MHS Makerspace inspires students to become participatory learners to uncover their talents, needs, and interests by making, producing, solving, creating, collaborating and thinking. The purpose of the MHS Makerspace is to support students who are doing projects that are part of a project based learning experience. Come by and visit the MHS Makerspace!
• All students participate in a class called Digital Literacy for the 21st Century that focuses on digital skills and digital safety, including typing skills and coding. Nghia Harvey teaches the DL21 Class. Contact Nghia Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Students can access their Chromebook start page at home by going to Chromebook Start Pages.
• Graphite is an excellent teacher and parent resource for finding the best apps, games, and websites.
• Be Technology Safe! Never share personal information online. Never share your passwords (except with parents and teachers). When you are online make sure you treat people the way you want to be treated. If anything online makes you uncomfortable tell a parent, teacher, or trusted adult immediately. Check out SafeKids.Com.
• The Chromebook start page is a page that loads automatically every time a student logs in to their Chromebook at school. The Chromebook start page can also be accessed at home. Click here: Chromebook start pages.
• Only use your school Google account for school purposes. Never use your school Google account to sign up for other services like Instagram. When you are on YouTube outside of school make sure you are signed out of your school Google account.
• Try replacing some of your video game time with some typing practice. You can access your typing account by going to moreland.typingclub.com. Sign in with your Google account.
If you have any questions please email Eddie Evans (Technology Integration Coach) at email@example.com.